How to Respond in a Tough Situation
Being in a car accident is the last thing anyone wants - but when it does happen, there are ways of making sure that the legal and insurance issues are handled with as little stress as possible.
- First of all - stay calm.
- If someone is injured, be sure to call for medical help.
- Make sure you call the police.
- Don't publicly make any statements where you either accuse the other person of causing the accident or take all the blame yourself. It could open you up to legal problems.
- Whatever you do, don't leave the scene until you've had a chance to talk with the officer and you've gotten their name. It's important to make sure that your side of the story goes on the record. Afterward, it's a good idea to get a copy of the police report.
- Make sure you have a pre-printed copy of your insurance information in the glove compartment, along with a camera you can use to provide pictures for the insurance company. A disposable camera with a flash for nighttime or interior shooting is usually best for this.
- In dealing with the other driver, make sure you get their name, address, driver's license number and insurance information - and that they get the same information from you.
- Also, make sure to get information from any witnesses as well.
- Make sure you get pictures of any physical evidence of what could have caused the accident.
- Write down pertinent details such as where the accident took place, what the weather was like, etc.
- Once the information's exchanged, report the accident to the insurance company immediately, even if it's not your fault.
- Make sure you understand how you're covered, and don't be afraid to ask the insurance company to explain the conditions of your coverage and payments.
- Don't be afraid to seek legal advice - and don't sign anything if you don't understand it.
- When you're using a body shop to get repairs to your vehicle, be aware that the insurance company can recommend a shop, but you are under no legal obligation to use its services. You have the legal right to choose the shop to do your repairs.
- Also be aware that insurance companies sometimes try to
dictate what type of parts are used in a vehicle's repair. They might
insist that a shop not use Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts, as
they are more expensive.
You have a right to know what kind of parts are being used on your vehicle, and to know if your insurance policy dictates what kind of parts can be used in your car. If your policy lets you choose, you have the right to decide for yourself.
- An insurance company also has the right to inspect your vehicle, but it is not required to do so. In addition, they cannot require you to visit one of their own claim centers.
- And finally: Make sure you learn from this accident, but also let yourself move on from what happened. Everyone has an accident once in a while - it's just something that happens.
I recently had a serious emergency with my Toyota tundra and the dealership really lied to me and try to take me for a ride almost $5000 until I found Affordable Auto they checked everything out so many things were over embellished from the dealership and or just a straight lie. They saved me $3000 plus I got brakes out of it as well as the things that needed to be fixed so I'm pretty happy and they've been very very responsive and have checked on me after service to make sure I'm happy with everything really means a lot that they follow up definitely will recommend this place to anybody.
The guys who work here are great at what they do. I came to them to get my compressor fixed under my car dealership warranty. Troy took care of the entire thing & even spent hours on the phone negotiating with my warranty company to make sure that I had the most affordable price & my car back as soon as possible (as he knows I have children & need a vehicle) They even threw in a desperately needed free oil change. I can't thank them enough. This is my new favorite spot to take my car & I will be recommending all of my friends & family to come here. Thank you so much to this crew for fixing my AC in the middle of summer!
These guys are awesome. Polite, courteous, and honest! Kept me updated along the way. Highly recommend.
5 STAR and above! Affordable Auto and Truck Repair of Clearwater is fast, fair and an affordable auto shop. I took my car in for battery terminals replacement, and they were much cheaper than the car dealership I went to earlier this morning who quoted me, with at least $200 cost for parts and labor. I highly recommend this auto shop! They are very professional, knowledgeable, very helpful & honest. Final price was exactly as they said with no last minute or hidden fees. It's hard to find an amazing genuine mechanic/auto shop! Thank you again Affordable Auto and Truck Repair of Clearwater. I am a very very very happy customer who saved a lot of money. I am definitely coming back!!!
I found Affordable online threw a site that recommends repair shops in my area. I looked at some of the reviews & decided to try them with my cars overheating problem. After they checked my car out Troy called & let me know what the problem was & the cost to fix it. Since I'm on a fixed income & had just bought the car, I explained that it would take couple of days before I would have the funds available. Troy was very professional, polite, & shared empathy for the situation that the dealership that sold me the car had caused. I'm very happy that I decided to use this repair shop. I'm pleased with the repairs & that my car is drivable again. It is very refreshing these days to find a company that is professional, polite, & show empathy for a situation that may be very unpleasant. If you have mechanical problems with your vehicle & want to be treated like an intelligent person & not just a dollar sign, you need to call Affordable Auto & Truck Repairs. Troy, I would like to thank you & everyone that worked to get my car back on the road. I will definitely be referring family & friends to you. I did compare cost with other shops in the area & Affordable was around the same cost, & definitely less than a dealership. This is my forever auto repair company. 04/05/22 update from original post. I had to call my friends at Affordable again. Per my first post I have to say nothing has changed. They are still my 5 Star auto repair shop, and I will take my car to no one else. Thanks guys, keep up the great work.