Are You Ready For The Road?
An average of 13,000 Americans are killed between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day, some as a result of unperformed vehicle maintenance, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Each year, neglected maintenance leads to more than 2,600 deaths, nearly 100,000 disabling injuries and more than $2 billion in lost wages, medical expenses and property damage.
Most mechanical failures can be traced to neglected maintenance. For example, the U. S. Department of Transportation reports the leading cause of mechanical breakdown on our nation's highways is overheating, a condition that is easily avoidable. Other deficiencies that are simple to detect include low antifreeze/coolant, worn or loose drive belts and defective cooling system hoses.
Checking tire pressure and inflating a tire costs nothing, yet an average of 21 percent of cars inspected in check lanes during National Car Care Month have under inflated tires. This can lead to a blowout and a serious accident.
Fuel Saving Tips
|Condition||Effect||MPG Penalty up to|
|Under inflated tires||Increase rolling resistance||1-2mpg|
|Dirty air filter||Causes excessively rich fuel/air mixture||2.0mpg|
|Worn spark plugs||Cause inefficient combustion, wasted fuel||2.0mpg|
|Worn O2 sensor||Unable to detect and adjust air/fuel mixture||3mpg|
|Dirty or substandard engine oil||Increases internal engine friction||0.4mpg|
|Loose gas cap||Allows fuel to evaporate||2.0mpg|
|Potential loss in fuel economy if all of the above were neglected||11.4mpg|
The Car Care Council offers these fuel-saving tips:
- Vehicle gas caps -- About 17 percent of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or are missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires -- When tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with the parking brake on and can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs -- A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in a lot of heat and electrical and chemical erosion. A dirty spark plug causes misfiring, which wastes fuel. Spark plugs need to be replaced as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Dirty air filters -- An air filter that is clogged with dirt, dust and bugs chokes off the air and creates a "rich" mixture -- too much gas being burned for the amount of air, which wastes gas and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10 percent, saving about 20 cents a gallon.
Fuel-saving driving tips include:
- Don't be an aggressive driver -- Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33 percent on the highway and 5 percent on city streets, which results in 10 to 66 cents per gallon.
- Avoid excessive idling -- Sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Observe the speed limit -- Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mpg driven over 60 will result in an additional 10 cents per gallon. To maintain a constant speed on the highway, cruise control is recommended.
WIPERS - In the 2001 National Car Care Month vehicle check lanes, 21 percent of participants had wipers that smeared, streaked or chattered across their windshields. Although climates vary, wipers generally need replacing every six months. An easy reminder is to change wiper blades in the spring and fall when you change your clock. Be sure the windshield washers are working properly, too, and keep the reservoir filled with solvent.
LIGHTING - Another important pre-trip check should be exterior and interior lighting. Vehicle check lanes revealed an overall failure rate of over 25 percent in the lighting category. The Car Care Council reminds motorists to check their lights monthly. Other suggestions from the Council include turning on headlights both day and night. This helps define your car's position on the road, and its distance from other drivers. When your vehicle's lighting is defective, other motorists may not get the message that you intend to stop or turn. The end result could be disastrous.
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre-trip checklist:
- Check all fluids. There are several fluids, in addition to antifreeze, that require attention, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check hoses and belts. A belt that fails can affect the electrical system, air conditioning and power steering, as well as the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires. Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
"While a last minute checkup is better than no checkup, motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility. A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps," said the Car Care Council's Executive Director, Rich White.
Not only can a pre-trip inspection help reduce chances of costly and possibly dangerous road trouble, it also provides an opportunity to have repairs made at home, with one's own technician who knows the vehicle. Especially important, it provides peace of mind. While no inspection can guarantee a car's performance, it's comforting to know proper precautions were taken.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Affordable Auto and Truck Repair in Clearwater
These guys are awesome. Polite, courteous, and honest! Kept me updated along the way. Highly recommend.
5 STAR and above! Affordable Auto and Truck Repair of Clearwater is fast, fair and an affordable auto shop. I took my car in for battery terminals replacement, and they were much cheaper than the car dealership I went to earlier this morning who quoted me, with at least $200 cost for parts and labor. I highly recommend this auto shop! They are very professional, knowledgeable, very helpful & honest. Final price was exactly as they said with no last minute or hidden fees. It's hard to find an amazing genuine mechanic/auto shop! Thank you again Affordable Auto and Truck Repair of Clearwater. I am a very very very happy customer who saved a lot of money. I am definitely coming back!!!
I found Affordable online threw a site that recommends repair shops in my area. I looked at some of the reviews & decided to try them with my cars overheating problem. After they checked my car out Troy called & let me know what the problem was & the cost to fix it. Since I'm on a fixed income & had just bought the car, I explained that it would take couple of days before I would have the funds available. Troy was very professional, polite, & shared empathy for the situation that the dealership that sold me the car had caused. I'm very happy that I decided to use this repair shop. I'm pleased with the repairs & that my car is drivable again. It is very refreshing these days to find a company that is professional, polite, & show empathy for a situation that may be very unpleasant. If you have mechanical problems with your vehicle & want to be treated like an intelligent person & not just a dollar sign, you need to call Affordable Auto & Truck Repairs. Troy, I would like to thank you & everyone that worked to get my car back on the road. I will definitely be referring family & friends to you. I did compare cost with other shops in the area & Affordable was around the same cost, & definitely less than a dealership. This is my forever auto repair company. 04/05/22 update from original post. I had to call my friends at Affordable again. Per my first post I have to say nothing has changed. They are still my 5 Star auto repair shop, and I will take my car to no one else. Thanks guys, keep up the great work.
Great customer service, first time called here and was very friendly and welcoming. Will inspect brakes for free then quote. I'm heading down there tomorrow morning and will update my review. So far FANTASTIC!
Affordable Auto did an outstanding job remaining transparent and providing great communication and service!! I would highly recommend this shop to anyone looking for dealer quality work for half the price. They also went out of their way to help me deliver a gift to my friend that lives locally. Thank you!! : )